[OM] Re: Scanner sharpness; Silverfast 6.0

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner sharpness; Silverfast 6.0
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:38:19 -0500
> -----Original Message from AG S.-----
> > The discussion about Walt's scanner, sharpness, and grain
> > reminds me of
> > problems I had with my former Nikon scanner that now lives
> > with Ag Schnozz.
>
> Yes, and I'm waiting for my "upgrade" from you too.

I'm glad the Nik*n LS-20 still lives on.

> > I would often get scans that were very sharp in the
> > center and soft at the edges.
>
> To get around this with slides, I've had to take a couple of
> them out of the mounts and use the negative holder which does
> hold them pretty flat.

Groan. :(

> > After calibrating to the IT8 target last night...
>
> YOU have the IT8 35mm target?  Can you bring it with you when we
> get together for our B&W outing?  I desparately need to create a
> better profile.  Shoot, I'll even DRIVE over (at today's
> ludicrous gas prices) to pick it up.
>
> I'll especially make the trip if you bribe me with the usage of
> something Zuiko.  Doesn't even have to be chrome-nosed if it
> happens to be the one that has the preset aperture, if you know
> what I mean.  The OM-2S has felt deprived for so long.
>
> AG-Schnozz

The IT8 target comes with Silverfast.  I think the SF calibration
routine makes it quite unique as scanning software goes.  I have no idea
how much good it will do you, since Silverfast takes a scan and
references the color swatch points to values in a table stored in one of
the Silverfast folders.

But you may shoot some Nik*n photons through it if you want.

I did some more scans tonight.  I'm finally getting the yellows and
greens that have evaded me.

Let's definitely get together.  Call first as work is making me nuts
right now and the house is torn up. 8^0

I could definitely use a short trip somewhere in a Jeep.

Joel