[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: Roland Ruehl <roland.ruehl@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:29:59 -0700
James,

I just finished scanning a batch of (> 200) Kodak 400UC negatives on my
Minolta Multi II (2800 dpi,
I also could not afford higher resolution and I occasionally need medium
format scanning capabilities).

Try the following:

    * lock the exposure
    * use manual focus (on the Multi II) this is part of the work flow
    * scan as positives
    * use VueScan for an initial film transfer function correction
    * make sure you scan consistently with respect to emulsion (I do
      emulsion down)

I use a slide feeder that I bought on ebay (sc-100) and manually mount
negatives into slide frames.
That way cleaning and keeping it clean is easier during scanning. Still
the post-scan dust removal
for me is the most work-intensive part of the job.

I keep telling myself going forwards that I will use slides as much as
possible (easier to color correct
and dust) but the 400UC is too great of a film and allows me to get real
prints when I want them.

Just my two cents,

Roland.