[OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400

Subject: [OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400
From: "Bolty" <boldbolty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 12:33:30 +1000
Hi Walt
At 5400 dpi it is without a doubt grain you are seeing!
Even Fuji Astia with the best RMS rating shows grain at 5400 dpi but when
the image is reduced to web size it shows amazing detail and graduation in
tone and colour rendition!
Check out these posts
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGallDetail.asp?photoID=400044&memberI
D=22419&memberGall=1
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGallDetail.asp?photoID=400043&memberI
D=22419&memberGall=1

The one thing I have found with the scanner is that I find it hard to get a
good scan from Velvia! Not that it is bad but it seems to have trouble
picking up all the detail. I dont know whether that is because it is such a
high contrast and saturated film. But when I look at the slide under a loupe
it is pin sharp and the scan just seems to be muddled like it cant get all
the info from the slide?
Any comments on your findings!
Cheers Adam

> Iwert,
>
> I've made a few changes in my scanning technique/learning curve since I
started with the new toy.  But any scan I make, blown up enough, shows
grain.  I figure at 5400dpi, there ought to be some grain visible.  I've
never seen film that didn't have grain when enlarged enough.  I scan 35mm
stuff on my Epson 3200 or my HP S20, and when I blow it up in Picture Window
Pro, I see pixels before I see grain.  But not so with the Minolta 5400 --
the grain comes before the pixels.

> I just now kept enlarging the Velvia shot of the red hot rod in Picture
Window Pro until grain became apparent.  On my monitor, that was at the
equivalent of a 24"x36" enlargement.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but
I've never seen a print that size from a 35mm slike or negative that didn't
show some grain.

> The main thing the 5400 has taught me is that sometimes what looks sharp
really ain't when you get right down to 5400dpi scans.  Maybe I'll start
using one of my hated tripods more.  And the difference between 100 and 400
speed film is obvious.