[OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400

Subject: [OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 18:18:54 +0000
Iwert,

I've made a few changes in my scanning technique/learning curve since I started
with the new toy.  But any scan I make, blown up enough, shows grain.  I figure
at 5400dpi, there ought to be some grain visible.  I've never seen film that
didn't have grain when enlarged enough.  I scan 35mm stuff on my Epson 3200 or
my HP S20, and when I blow it up in Picture Window Pro, I see pixels before I
see grain.  But not so with the Minolta 5400 -- the grain comes before the
pixels.

I just now kept enlarging the Velvia shot of the red hot rod in Picture Window
Pro until grain became apparent.  On my monitor, that was at the equivalent of
a 24"x36" enlargement.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've never seen a
print that size from a 35mm slike or negative that didn't show some grain.

The main thing the 5400 has taught me is that sometimes what looks sharp really
ain't when you get right down to 5400dpi scans.  Maybe I'll start using one of
my hated tripods more.  And the difference between 100 and 400 speed film is
obvious.

I probably have a lot to learn.  A year ago, I cudn't even spel dygital, and
now I are using them.  :-)

Walt

--
Everybody has a photographic memory.  Some people just don't have any film.