[OM] Re: Comet was Re: Transit of Venus/Exposure

Subject: [OM] Re: Comet was Re: Transit of Venus/Exposure
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:51:49 +0200
Hi, Michael and all.

>Nice astro pics.

Thanks!

>I am thinking of gettting an EOS300D (here called the Digital Rebel).
>
>Can you talk about how you adapted your Olympus lenses to it, please?

I use the Kidai adapter. I also own several other adapters, but none is as
well made as Kindai's, neither as convenient to use. Having the (un)lock
button on the lens itself is a plus of Zuiko lenses, when it comes to
adapters...

Like Moose, I prefer the 'stop-down' mode (aperture varies while moving the
ring) of the adapter, rather than the 'preset' mode -- pressing the DOF
button while shooting is never convenient, and even less with the bigger
body of the Can*n wonderbrick.

The lack of auto-aperture is acceptable for me.

>Do you use your Oly lenses on the EOS for general photography as well
>as astrophotography?

Yes, I do. The Zuiko 28/2 makes a great standard lens (45mm equiv.)

I also own the bundled 18-55, but I find it to be a mediocre performer of
*extremely flimsy* build quality. I mostly use it for eBay's pics -- it's
the only way to use the built-in flash!

>If so, how do you handle the camera's
>expectations for an electronic lens connection and responses?

As Moose mentioned, the camera will work OK on Manual & Aperture-priority
modes. It will allow Program & Shutter-priority, but these are likely to
get wrong (over) exposures, thus not usable. Viewfinder display (and EXIF
data) shows shutter speed, but obviously *not* the aperture (it's always
'00'). A non-dedicated flash will work OK, but the E-TTL of this camera
*needs* a dedicated lens to work, so no TTL-OTF with Zuikos :-(

When using apertures of f/2 and larger, it needs some exposure compensation
(up to -1 1/3). This is not a fault of the camera, but a generic limitation
of TTL meters in *all* cameras, *mechanically* compensated in the lens
couplings -- not available when an adapter is used.

As in any other AF SLR, the "focusing" screen is not good for focusing
manually -- fortunately, the Varimagni fits nicely on the 300D...

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>