[OM] OM4Ti meter Vs OM1 meter

Subject: [OM] OM4Ti meter Vs OM1 meter
From: Matt Boland <mattboland@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 14:44:40 +1000
Hi all,

        this is my first posting to this list, so I'll say hello.

"hello". I have an OM1n, a 24/F2.8 (one word - gem), a 28/F2.0 (one word
- gem), 50/F1.8, a 135/F3.5, and a, 85-250/F5.

I have an OM4Ti for trial for 7 days and the metering is up to a stop
and a half over what my trusty and ever faithful OM1 meter says. To be
truthful, I have been comparing them indoors under artificial lighting.
It has been raining here in Australia (at least where I live) so I
cannot do the sunny 16 test.

I have shot some Fuji Sensia 100 and 400, and it seems like there is
underexposure, though not by a stop and a half.

Since I think the meters are different (is the OM-1 selenium and the
OM4Ti CdS ? - please correct me if I'm wrong ) maybe they are not
responding the same under artificial light? Although I remember testing
another OM4Ti (which ended up going back because the low voltage sensing
circuitry seemed to lock the mirror up and shut the whole thing down at
least once per roll) and the OM1, and they were identical.

I have new Hg batteries in the OM1 and new silver oxides in the OM4Ti,
(yes they ARE fresh and have been tested with a multimeter) so this is
not the issue.

Is the metering cheap to have calibrated?

I wonder if the camera is worth the money, or whether I should send it
back? The bottom plate is scuffed and scratched and shows minor
deformities around the tripod mount. There is heavy brassing around the
strap rings (it is a OM4Ti black) and a minor dent near one of the strap
rings. (This one is minor, I did not see it in the first day.) The
rewind knob is brassed, but internally it is clean, the pressure plate
is not worn and everything else looks fine. All functions work as they
should, apart from the metering issue. The asking price is $AUD750
(about $USD540).

In your opinion is this a fair price?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to communicating with other OM users.

--
Matt Boland (BEng)                  Phone  : 61 7 5594 9824
R&D Engineer                        Mobile : 61 4 0835 1421