[OM] Re: cleaning lens glass

Subject: [OM] Re: cleaning lens glass
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 18:55:00 -0700
on 5/6/04 3:51 AM, jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx at jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> What are you using as a 'cloth'? I find the purpose made lens tissues
>> work well, but don't use too much liquid and wipe the surface dry with
>> the tissue to avoid streaking.
>>
>> Another James
>>

> I tried cotton buds, cotton wool balls, uncoloured toilet paper...
> I own a VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine :-> perhaps I should use that
> Regards
> James

The best cloth I've found for lens cleaning is the microfiber lens cloth...
it looks like satin, but is very soft, and seems to instantly soak up the
cleaning fluid without leaving streaks, and then polishes out to a gleaming
clean surface. For fluid I use Windex, applied to a cotton swab then swirled
around on the lens... Blow off any loose dirt first with canned air, and use
enough fluid to 'float' off any grime left. This process seems to result in
clean lens surfaces without any apparent damage to coatings, etc.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...