[OM] Re: cleaning lens glass

Subject: [OM] Re: cleaning lens glass
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:11:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 6 May 2004 jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What do you think is the *best* way to clean grease and general grime that
> a soft brush will not remove from the glass of lenses and filters.
> I have tried the usual bottle of lens cleaning solution only to find it
> leaves streaks

The *best* cleaner to use is acetone.  It evaporates very quickly resulting
in little to no streaking.  Having said that, acetone is also a very dangerous
cleaner if you don't know how to handle it.  It will quickly dissolve most
plastics and remove many paints.  Improper use on a lens can easily cause
permanent damage.  A somewhat safer but still very good cleaner is Methyl
Hyrdrate (Methanol), which is usually available in the paint department of
most hardware stores.  It also evaporates quickly and cleanly but isn't
nearly as aggressive as acetone.  It'll still remove paint if rubbed too
hard so be careful.
                                -mark