[OM] Re: 40mm pancake - collector or shooter?

Subject: [OM] Re: 40mm pancake - collector or shooter?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 11:26:28 +0200
Hi, all.

OK, I confess: I'm rather partial to 'pancake' lenses
<http://217.216.179.72/etc/pancake.jpeg> ;-)

Yes, I think the price of 40mm zuikos is ridiculously high, but
unfortunately there's no real alternative in the Zuiko line -- I just don't
like the FOV of the 50mm, neither the several 45mm's I've tried on other
cameras.

I also agree that this is not the best performer of the 'standard' Zuikos.
Technically, the 50/1.8 miJ wins hands down, but I much prefer the 'image
style' of the 40mm -- performance drops wide open (as any other lens), but
it does in a 'beautiful' way (to me). OTOH, the Zuiko 35/2 is the opposite:
there's *something* on its pictures that didn't match my aesthetic
perception...

The close focus capability is a plus for me. The extremely small size is
*not* -- it's too small to be handled well (though an UV filter helps with
the aperture ring!)

>I'm also pretty stunned at how compact this 40 is vs. the 35/2. How
>does 5mm make that much difference?

Well, the 40mm takes the doble-Gauss optical formula -- IOW, it's designed
like a scaled-down 50mm standard lens. But *any* 35mm for SLRs should be
closer to the film than the mirror would allow, so they must use a
'retrofocus' formula -- much bigger and bulkier. OTOH, 35/2s *for
rangefinders* may get much closer to the film plane, waiving the use of
retrofocus design, thus they're quite small.

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>