[OM] Re: Silver nosed Zuiko lenses (24mm)?

Subject: [OM] Re: Silver nosed Zuiko lenses (24mm)?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:50:32 -0700
It is still the case that silver nose and black nose are cosmetic. It
unfortunate for all of our sanity that Oly made a cosmetic change at
about the same time as they started multi-coating lenses. But, of
course, the process of bringing out MC lenses took quite some time....
and the process of changing the appearance took some time. So there is
all this overlap, and an unknown number of MC lenses with silver noses
and an unknown number of SC lenses with SC. The point is - the letter
denoting the number of elements was dropped on each normal prime lens
when it started being multi-coated. (Does not apply to zooms or
specialty lenses. All zooms were MC from the beginning except for the
75-150.) This is the only reliable indicator. 'MC' is meaningful as a
positive indication of early MC lenses, but was later dropped as all
lenses were assumed to be MC. So 'MC' is actually indicative of earlier,
rather than late, MC lenses.

afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>My question was more to do with the fact that I had a silvernose with
>no letter in front of the 'Zuiko'
>Is this unusual?

Slightly. If, however, there is no 'MC' on the front ring, it seems
likely that something, filter ring or front bezel ring, has been
replaced and you indeed have a unique speciman. I believe that the combo
of silver nose and later front ring without the 'MC' marking can't have
come from the factory. But who knows what may be true of one particular
lens? It is in any case multi-coated, as all 24/2 lenses are.

Moose