[OM] Re: Website Update and Isle Royale Essay

Subject: [OM] Re: Website Update and Isle Royale Essay
From: "Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:51:25 +0100
> I rated the Velvia at 64 (the
>second time that I have done that) so as to give me a tiny bit more
>speed, and to gain the saturation.  It works fine, but it was still too
>slow to use in a vibrating light aircraft and all my shots are blurred.

I reckon what you need is a faster lens. I've got a Galen Rowell book which has
a few tips on photography from light aircraft, and his basic advice is (forgive
me if you know all this already!):
Use fast primes, wide open  - for max shutter speed
set lens at infinity (turn AF off - but that doesn't apply to us!)
Push velvia to 100 - the speed is useful, whilst the enhanced contrast helps
offset shooting through the blue murk.
Use a polariser - to further cut through the haze.
In the UK I can't help thinking a polariser might drop the shutter speeds a
stop to far, so I guess a UV could be substituted here. And I don't suppose you
want to be changing lenses all the time whilst flying or teaching! So the
answer is....you need a 35-80/2.8 ;-)
Adam