[OM] Re: justification for keeping auto tubes ?

Subject: [OM] Re: justification for keeping auto tubes ?
From: "Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:06:37 +0100
>How close was the front of the lens to the flower? I suspect a
>person wouldn't want to go too much wider or risk bumping the front
>element .

>mike

With the 28mm and 7mm tube its not all that close. Even with the focussing
helicoid right out too, focus is about 3 inches in front of the front element.
I find using the matched hood is the best guard against bumping into the
subject - preferable (to me) to using a UV filter. With the 21mm in the same
combo its down to an inch and a half, and you get problems with the lens and
hood shading the subject. However I remember seeing a great shot of a mushroom
posted on the list a while back - as I remember taken with a 16mm and 7mm tube.
That must have needed some real care in positioning!
Adam