[OM] Re: (OM) Tripod Stability

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Tripod Stability
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:38:58 -0700

On Apr 22, 2004, at 9:23 PM, Mike wrote:

> Fernando, Generally I try to keep the sand _out_ of my tripod :>) For a
> really dead stable tripod I don't think you can beat a surveyor's
> wooden
> tripod. Mine was less than $100 and is built like a tank. Well... if
> tanks were built out of wood. My Gitzo Studex seems flimsy by
> comparison. i don't recommend hanging anything from a tripod to dampen
> wind caused vibration. If the wind is strong at all it acts like a
> sail.
> i think the hand on the camera works best.

Telescopes generally catch more wind and wooden tripods are not
uncommon. I think that carbon fiber is an attempt to get damping
similar to wood without the weight. Popular in the last couple of years
are the synthetic rubber cups that you put the feet of the tripod in.
They certainly damp vibration in telescopes.

You would not want to actually hang something from a tripod, but a
short bungie from the tripod to a camera bag on the ground would
transfer a load to the tripod that might stabilize it.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA