[OM] Re: (OM) Tripod Stability

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Tripod Stability
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:10:06 -0300
> One of my aluminum tripods (Not
> the lightest!) is ridiculous, vibrating madly with the least little
> incitement.
Just like mine :)

In the audio world, users care a lot about vibration and damping techniques
are frequently discussed. A old and common one regarding damping vibration
either on speakers stands or equipment stands (which are almost always
steel) is filling the stand with sand. I wonder if someone already tried
filling an aluminium tripod with sand. It won't be light anymore, but I've
observed that in the case of tripods its volume bothers more than its
weight. Since tripod legs I know of are all telescoping, sand could fill
only the last thinner segment.

Fernando.