[OM] Re: Stylus cameras and "exposure compensation"

Subject: [OM] Re: Stylus cameras and "exposure compensation"
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:35:13 -0500
Hi George,
Yes, I agree with you that the cameras are probably not designed to
excel at transparencies.  I am merely interested to learn more about the
subtle differences in design as suggested by the fact that Olympus seems
to have traded the "spot mode" feature for the seemingly less
sophisticated +1.5 exposure comp in the newer model.  I am running slide
film right now to satisfy myself as to what the cameras are actually
doing and how well.  I'll report back when I get the film.

My intention is to shoot either color print or BW with one or the other
of these cameras.  But I'm not writing off shooting Sensia II, for
example, once I learn more about the capabilities of the two designs.  I
already know that I wouldn't hesitate to use the camera with slide film
on the fill flash setting.  The results are incredible.

Last night I discovered that -- I think -- you can put the zoom 70 on a
tripod, engage the spot mode, then put it on self-timer, lock the spot
exposure/focus point as you start the countdown, then recompose the
image in the 12 seconds it takes before the shutter opens.  If that
works as I think it does, it would be very cool.

My hypothesis is that Olympus may have dumped the spot mode to save some
money, for the reasons you suggest:  people shoot print film in a P&S,
and also because people don't really use most of the features of their
P&S camera anyway.

Thanks for responding.
Joel W.