[OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:38:04 +0100
<Walt wrote:
It will be a cold day in hell before I buy another piece of audio gear
made anywhere in Europe.>  Big Snip !

I have absolutely no experience with Meridian gear (tho I've been told
it sounds very good !), but I have a little experience with Philips.

My father has a Philips system.  It was bought as a present to himself a
couple of weeks after I was born (I think my mother would rather have
had a present that she could have appreciated, but that's another story
!).  That was 1974.  The speakers are sounding a little dated.  3-way
system, paper cones, way too much Mid-range compared with today's top
quality stuff.  The turntable, however, is still great.  And the
receiver knocks spots off most modern amps.  Problems ?  Stretched drive
belt on the turntable (very recent - if anyone knows where to get a
replacement drive-belt for a Philips 212 electronic I'd be glad of some
pointers !) and a power switch which croaked.  All easily sorted.
Amplifier ?  The transformer de-laminated after about 20-25 years of
solid service.  Replaced it (I really must neaten up that "temporary"
bodge soon !) and still sounding superb.

HOWEVER, to add weight to Walt's experience, the Philips equipment
produced today is a world apart from that produced 20 to 30 years ago.
Like Walt, I've had nothing but problems with it.  CD players (2 of
them) both bit the dust.  One I wasn't too sorry about (good reason to
upgrade) but the other was in my "bedroom" setup and really was doing
the job nicely thank-you !  Their domestic products (produced under the
name Whirlpool I believe) are worse still.  4 washing machines in 18
months and they still couldn't provide one that lasted more than 6
months.

As for other British or European makes, I don't know.  I've had very
good experiences with Linn audio products (Scottish, I believe).  And if
you ever decide to pour beer anywhere near that Rega Tonearm, just think
twice and pop it in the post to me instead ! (The tonearm, not the beer
... though now I think about it ...).  Agree re Denon gear though.  Got
some of their stuff and it has been top quality and reliable.  Sounds
similar, but I have 2xPower and 1xPre-Amps from a company called
"Densen" - I believe they are Dutch ?  Very good anyway.

As far as I know, there is no reason why the American Electrons you
mention should be incompatible with European devices !  Sure, your
electrons jump up and down a bit quicker (60 times a second, isn't it
?), and they only jump half as high, but most modern equipment is
designed with this in mind.  As Chris said, however, the allowable
tolerances in the supply may be a little different ?

I'll get back in my shell now ... !

Regards,

Jon