[OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Rant: No more $$ to Europe!
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:15:59 +0100
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:21:34 +0000, hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
wrote:

>In the last five years, I have had three European-made pieces of audio gear
>crap out, each one slowly, a bit at a time, never with the decency to go all
>of a sudden, with a bang and a puff of smoke, like they should.  Except for an
>easily replaced fuse or tube on a few occasions, I have never had a piece of
>American-made audio gear fail, not ever, not in 40 years, and only one made in
>Japan, and that was my fault, but that's another story.  No more from "over
>there," not ever!

I must have led a very sheltered life. My ancient BBC LS3/5a
loudspeakers, driven by an even more ancient Quad 303 power amplifier
(that's just left on all the time) just seem to go on and on. So do my
Audiolab 8000P control unit, Revox A77 and Ferrograph Series 6 tape
recorders and ancient Leak FM stereo tuner. My son still has a Philips
CD player that was one of the first available over here and has seen
off several Oriental machines in lifetime terms. OTOH the most
disappointing audio gear I've ever had were Wollensak and Aiwa
cassette decks that were just binned because of poor performance,
insoluble problems and lack of service.

My old folding Ross Ensign Selfix 820 camera still works too.

As you say it must be something about the electrons but since we only
spawned the likes of Maxwell, Faraday and a few other insignificants
what would we know over here? :-)

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)