[OM] Re: Processor advice for handling OM images

Subject: [OM] Re: Processor advice for handling OM images
From: Gary Edwards <zuikowarriors@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:37:23 -0800 (PST)
That should have been "about 15 Mpx to their 6.3."

Gary Edwards <zuikowarriors@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Winsor,

One of the things 5400 dpi gives me is parity with the digital shooters. No,
actually, I'm ahead of them. A lot of the shots are of F-15s, F-16s, and
Tornadoes blasting off in full burner, made from between the runways at Nellis
during a Red Flag launch. An F-15 is a big airplane, but it fills about half
the linear dimension of the frame when shot with a 400 from where I was. The
Canon digital shooters were mostly using the 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS and 10Ds. They
are ahead of me by the magnification factor of 1.6 for that camera, acheiving
almost full frame shots. But, I start out with a 39 Mpx full frame scan, crop
to their framing, and now I'm ahead by about 9.75 Mpx to their 6.3.

I lust for that Canon lens, mostly for the IS, but I don't believe that it is
sharper than my Tamron 400 f/4. The big Tamron is pretty awesone and I am even
more in love with it after seeing these scans. I sure was working to focus,
though. Jets are fast.

How did you guys know I was working in 16-bit images? Glad you mentioned it. I
had been forgetting to convert to 8-bit before saving the final 50 Mb
submission files.

Gary

Winsor Crosby wrote:

Do you gain anything working with a 210 MB file? There are a lot of
people out there who do not think you gain anything with 35mm above
2800 dpi. You could gain some working efficiency by downsizing your
slide, doing an immediate exposure/contrast adjustment and changing to
an 8 bit file. Maybe you could do some experiments that would help you
free up some processing power.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA