[OM] Re: Why E1 over others?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why E1 over others?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:40:01 -0800 (PST)
> how would you describe the shutter lag on the A1? Both
> for the
> autofocusing lag and the lag after it focuses.

Autofocus speed is about par for any autofocus camera of
pre-2000 vintage.  It would have been faster if they implemented
a range-limiting feature as is typically found on high end
DSLRs.  That way it wouldn't need to run the full distance
spectrum.  But it's pretty quick.  Faster if you are not using
flex-point, since it has more locations to try and get a lock.
I tend to prefocus so speed is sufficient.

Shutter-lag is obviously a pain if you don't prefocus but just
jab the shutter release.  I've never operated that way so it's
not a problem.  Once the camera is pre-focused, the lag is under
200ms.  Not world-class, but forces you to anticipate a little.
In reality, it isn't too much slower than the OM-2S.

This points out a specific working method difference between
old-school photogs and new-school photogs.  Us old-schoolers
learned to "squeeze" the shutter release and anticipate the
shot.  New-schoolers feel that the camera should provide instant
response to whatever whim he/she imposes upon it.  Essentially,
the new-schoolers treat the DSLR as a fancy, really expensive
point-and-shoot.

Neither is right or wrong, but points out the differing training
and experience base.  Photographers that have specialized in
"the decisive moment" have honed their timing and anticipation
skills.  Their requirement is only that the equipment not get in
their way.  But they know that their own reflexes provide as
much, if not more delay than the camera.

AG