[OM] Re: Zuiko & Tokina 35-105mm zooms

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko & Tokina 35-105mm zooms
From: "Mickey Trageser" <Gad-Zuiks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:08:14 -0500
I had these 2 lenses and attempted to do some testing. I recall that I set
up the camera on a tripod and aimed into a set of the colored steel wire
shelf cubes to compare the coverage and distortion of the lenses. The Tokina
had slightly more magnification at both extremes, and in macro. The Tokina
showed very slightly more barrel distortion at 35 and very slight pincushion
at 105, while I don't recall seeing pincushion on the Zuiko. The color
balance was slightly different as well. The Tokina had a slightly yellowish
tendency. The images were all shot on the same roll. In the end, I kept the
Zuiko, only because it focused/zoomed in the right direction. They are not
the same lenses. The Tokina macro rotated opposite. These are just my
recollection. I'm sure I won't find the photos to share. I do remember that
in actual use, there was very little difference in the results. While the
Zuiko edged out the Tokina, I was torn on which to sell. I stayed with the
Zuiko primarily for brand loyalty. The Tokina would have served me quite
well, I'm sure.
Just my thoughts and recollections.
-Mickey