[OM] LIST-ADMIN stuff: digest distribution

Subject: [OM] LIST-ADMIN stuff: digest distribution
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:55:30 +0100
Gentlefolks,

I am back for a few days, and have taken a good look at the list.
Everything seems normal: no bounces (except for those who've let their
hotmail boxes run full), no errors....nothing.....and no digests either.

I tried to ask for an "out of order" digest from the listserver -- and got
a *H*U*G*E* one, with all messages since the 17th of march. Hmm....

Since the box running the list is by the ISP, I can't poke it directly
myself, and so I then filed a ticket with the ISP's on-line
error-reporting-system....silence. I then called their hotline. Nope, they
ain't got a free-call number, they charge about 50c/minute for being on
hold while they will "connect me to the next available operator". After
about 10 min, I got through, and explained the problem.

After some resistance, I got him to actually make an effort in looking at
what might be wrong. Their explanation was, that they'd had some hardware
failures, and were currently moving stuff around to spare servers, while
they were acquireing new hw. They told me, that it may be as long as until
the end of the month before things were normalized. I hmmf'ed, and hung up.

Grumbled for a while...

Then suddenly, out of the blue, the ticket I'd filed got a reply. Someone
is looking into it, which I hope means that we'll get digests up and
running again soon. I'll try to get through to their technical
support/hotline again tomorrow, and poke them some more -- I am doing the
best I can, and I do hope that it'll suffice.

I'm currently considering alternative hosting options, just in case that
the current ISP proves to be too troublesome to deal with. One of these
would be getting a higher-bandwidth connection into my home and keep the
list on a box under my physical control -- that way I'd have technical
support at hand 24/7 ;) This is the prefered option, but also the most
expensive one -- and, considering that I live in rental property, not the
easiest to pull through either. There are alternatives, and I am looking
into those too. When I get news, you guys will be the first to know....

Sorry about the troubles, guys. I really am...

--mother