[OM] Re: Lube

Subject: [OM] Re: Lube
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:51:01 -0800
> No help from the wise? OK then, it's me against the world.  I'll try bicycle
> bearing gear lube (waterproof!).
>
> Joel W.

Since I am a digest reader (Digester?), I am just seeing the original
and have not read all of the replies yet.

But... If it is similar to a Bogen 3047, Bogen uses a clever conical
clamp mechanism that is very fiddlely.  I would recommend removing the
handles and driving the allen screw on the opposite side as far as it
will go within reason.  This should open the gap between the cone and
the clamp allowing the best opportunity to clean out any debris.  Then
use a thin grease.  I have a can of "White Lithium" grease in an
"aerosol" can that worked nicely.

I however, learned the hard way that when you remove the cone from the
clamp it is very sensitive to the three set screw heights and the
clamping force of the three companion screws.  It took me a few hours to
get everything close to where I would have liked it.  The three set
screws control the number of twists to loosen or clamp the axis and the
tilt of the cone.  The problem as I recall is the set screws sit in
dimples that were cast into the mount.  The dimples are not "exactly"
the same size or depth thus making the orientation critical to reassembly.

If I absolutely had to tear one apart again I would scribe better
reference marks, the permanent marker wasn't, and I would leave the set
screws alone.

Now if the 3050 is built differently your on your own, Sorry to waste
your time.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California