[OM] Re: Why go digital??

Subject: [OM] Re: Why go digital??
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 06:34:20 +0000
Why indeed Donald?

The immediacy of digital, which you identified, is a great boon.  I
went on holiday with the 'outlaws' last week (my wife's parents) to my
father-in-law's birthplace, Dorset.  I took nearly 200 shots on my
C*non G5, along with the same number on my OM4, Contax G2, XA and
RF645.  I am still waiting for the latter rolls to be processed, but I
have already put together a CD of the digital images for my
father-in-law.

But my father-in-law could have waited a couple of weeks for the
results of the film; I merely enjoyed being able to show them to him on
my iBook prior to sorting them out to a CD.

I cannot afford the huge outlay that an E-1 would require, so I have
been looking at the other makers' digital products, with a view to
converting completely to digital.  I fancy the N*kin D70, along with
the F85 for film work.  But what would I do with 5 or 6mp image files.
They are not big enough for my favourite stock library (witness the
argument about interpolating images to make them big enough for the
library); I am not a photojournalist working to a deadline of a few
hours; and I take photographs when I am on holiday when I am supposed
to be enjoying my wife's company and helping her to enjoy the
experience.  She does not want me fiddling around with computers
downloading my holiday shots (although it is fun...)

Neither do I need the speed of operation of a N*kon AF camera for film;
nor could I afford to replace my Zuikos with equivalent glass.  So why
change?  Well I love a gadget, but not that much; and I think the
excitement about digital is that it is a computer with a lens, that it
opens up new ways of producing images that are not necessarily better,
but which are exciting nonetheless.

So I am staying where I am: mostly film with my G5 for the odd bit of
immediacy ;-)

Chris

On 15 Mar 2004, at 22:17, Donald Shedrick wrote:

> I can do anything I need to with my scanned images of slides or
> negatives, so that is not a compelling reason.
> I use an inexpensive 2MP point and shoot digital for quick
> spontaneous snapshots, etc and I love it for that.  But I still use
> print film in my Oly stylus for trips (in addition to slides in my
> OM-1n) mainly because I find it so much easier to get all the prints
> back without any computer work.
> So.....help me out.....why is there so much excitement about digital?

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.

+44 (0)7092 251126