[OM] Re: Why go digital??

Subject: [OM] Re: Why go digital??
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:09:52 EST
10 rolls a year is not someone who should "go digital".  Professionals are
the ones who'll benefit the most from shooting digital. They might shoot the
equivalent of 10 'rolls' in a day, email the shots to their lab, etc, etc. It
sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of going digital. That's fine.
If
you don't feel the urge to upend the way you shoot and process, then don't do
it, at least not at the present time. I shoot both film and digital (as an
amateur) and while it is nice to see whether you got what you wanted right away
(Did aunt Ethel blink? Is everyone in the group looking in the same direction?
Did any charming members of the 8th grade basketball team scrtatch their nose
with their middle finger?)  it's still not instant gratification. You'll have
to spend time at your computer manipulating and tweaking the images. I was
playing with roughly 24 digital images this afternoon, getting them ready for
printing, and it took me over an hour, due to slow read/write times and the
need
to restart my computer in the middle of things when something hung up.

Yeah, digital is nice in its own way, but also brings along other headaches.

George S.