[OM] Why go digital??

Subject: [OM] Why go digital??
From: Donald Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:17:49 -0800 (PST)
I'm not about to jump fully into digital yet, but I was doing some
thinking along these lines:
I figure my cost per slide for film and processing is about 30 cents
each.
If I drop $2500 on a new minimal digital SLR and a few lenses (it
could easily run alot more than this), it would take 8333 frames or
231 rolls of film to save the cost of the digital equipment, not
including memory cards, more software, storage, etc.  If I shoot 10
rolls a year, that is 23 years!
Now I know alot of you shoot more than this, and I do also if I go on
a really special trip, but my point is for me there has to be another
reason for going digital.
Instant gratification of images immediately viewable and downloadable
is the next most obvious reason, but I am a patient sort and I can
wait for my slides without going nuts.  Besides, there is something
very satisfying about holding a slide, and nothing digital comes
close to the vividness of a projected slide.  And I do not have to
spend hours at the computer to process each frame, and I know they
will always be there in the future in spite of the inevitable
computer format changes to come.
I can do anything I need to with my scanned images of slides or
negatives, so that is not a compelling reason.
I use an inexpensive 2MP point and shoot digital for quick
spontaneous snapshots, etc and I love it for that.  But I still use
print film in my Oly stylus for trips (in addition to slides in my
OM-1n) mainly because I find it so much easier to get all the prints
back without any computer work.
So.....help me out.....why is there so much excitement about digital?

=====
Don Shedrick

http://groups.msn.com/firstlightimaging