[OM] Re: E-1 Controls comment

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 Controls comment
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:01:35 +0100
Cc: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
Skip,

Thanks a bunch. Sounds like I'll have to find a way to get my hands on the
 E1 for  a more carefull field-test.

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing more of your experiences.

Thanks again, it was most enlightening.

--thomas
Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
was written successfully
> The ergonomics of the E-1 are a bit different than Canon or Nikon, using a
 top-mounted wheel behind the shutter release as the primary and the
 rear-mounted, recessed wheel for the secondary.  Yes, the rear wheel is a
 little far for your thumb to reach, but I find it refreshingly far enough
 to provide a nice, bit space for my thumb to rest.

> You can setup the rear wheel's configuration independently for each of
 three P, A, & S modes to either change the aperture/shutter or act as an
 exposure compensation dial. That's one option.

> In Program mode, I have both dials setup to act as Program-Shift.  Turning
 either of them moves the aperture/shutter combo one stop up or down.

> In Aperture or Shutter priority modes, the dials move the aperture or
 shutter one stop for each wheel click.

> Olympus decided that you didn't need to have one dial for the SS and one
 for the Aperture.  The primary dial controls whichever one is in control at
 the time.

> As an aside, one nice thing they did is implement a feature very similar
 to the OM-4 and OM-4T memory lock.  I have the camera configured in all
 three modes to make the AEL button lock the exposure until cancelled, just
 like the OM4's control.  No, you don't have a spot-meter button like the
 OM3/4/2s, but there is a very easily accesssed spot-meter mode, available
 with minimal effort.

> I'll have a full report soon.  I took about 150 images at a St Patrick's
 Day parade yesterday, so I had a good feeling for the camera + 14-54 + FL50
 flash.