[OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout

Subject: [OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:24:14 -0800
You guys kill me. <g>

Glad you're happy with your first waltz with your new Minolta, Ken. Envy
all around here.

Yesterday Katie and I were up north. I had a couple free hours and stopped
into a photography store in Middletown to see what was up. No luck re
dip-and-dunk service for my stuff as the owner sends everything but C-41 to
The Laboratory in Santa Rosa (there's another guy who does wet work in town
that I might be able to hook up with, otherwise my stuff has to go to Santa
Rosa with this guy's work).

Nice fellow. We talked for awhile. He shoots mostly school pictures
(graduation shots and the like), weddings and local sports events, plus the
odd church/Lions gig I imagine. All of his studio work is digital and half
his wedding stuff is as well. Sports are still done with emulsion.

Anyway, his digital is an EOS 10D and the blowups I saw from weddings were
superb. Not sure what lens he made those pictures with as I didn't plumb
him all that deep but at the moment that 10D wore a 28-135mm IS USM EF
(same on his analog body, by the way) and this lens _almost_ captured the
micro-detail on a bride's laced wedding veil, and did capture all detail
(as far as I could tell just eyeballing it in the store) everywhere else,
including the not-so-fine lace further down on her gown. Saturation was, as
you say, a good imitation of what one would expect shooting one of the
Portra emulsions, and I imagine there are settings in-camera to pop that up
to a Fuji emulation or whatever you'd want (and if not then in PS).

For his C-41 prints he uses a KIS 8-inch printer. It seems to do fair work
for medium-sized enlargements. I was invited to bring in some files to see
how I liked it. I think I will next time we go up.

Still not ready but I might well be very almost ready . . . if only I were
richer kind of man.

Tris