[OM] Re: Flying with Tripod

Subject: [OM] Re: Flying with Tripod
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 21:05:17 -0400

>  My cameras will be empty and will go through the "death-ray"
> machines without a request for hand searching.

I kept all my cameras empty of film, and in the carry-on luggage, so as to
keep things as simple and hassle free as possible. One girl in the Toronto
airport took out all my cameras, flash units, and even examined my mini-mag
flashlight. I helped her and then thanked her sincerely for her diligence in
protecting my safety. I then thanked her for her smile, and said to her,
"Your smile has made my day, after having been up travelling for over 40
hours." I thought she was going to break out in tears, as she then briefly
shared the hassles and rudeness she constantly faces in her job.

>  The measures used at security checkpoints today may
> seem draconian compared to those used in the past, however I doubt that
anyone
> would complain if they felt it might prevent a repeat of 9-11 on the
aircraft
> they happen to be flying on that day

I thought it was interesting though that one member of our team reported
that they didn't catch and confiscate his swiss army knife in his carry-on
until the second leg of the trip. He was from southern Ontario area, and
they missed it in the airport in Detroit where he began his flight.

> Bill Barber

Wayne