[OM] Re: 85/2 vs 90/2 vs 35-105

Subject: [OM] Re: 85/2 vs 90/2 vs 35-105
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:26:08 -0500
For simply making a harmonious extension to your walkabout kit I think
I'd choose a 35-70 f/4 to go with your 70-150 f/4.  Good total range
between the two, very light and relatively low cost.

I have about 20 lenses covering the ranges you specify (not all Zuikos,
of course).  For specific match-ups I have a Vivitar Series 1 90mm
f/2.5, 28-105 and 35-135 Kirons and the 85 f/2 plus many others.  I also
have the Zuiko 35-70 f/4 and a Kiron 70-150 f/4.  These two lenses are
what I use about 90% of the time simply because they cover most of what
needs to be covered at reaonable speed, are very light and make good
images.  The Kiron 70-150 has very good bokeh.  Tom Scales used to swear
by his 35-70 f/4 and when I finally got one I understood why.  Now that
Tom has mostly moved on to digital maybe he'll part with his favorite lens.

But, I've gotta admit that the 85/2 has very good bokeh too which you
can see here.  There are 20 portrait images here all done with the 85/2
<http://home.comcast.net/~chucknorcutt/photos/index.html>

Chuck Norcutt

Rob Harrison wrote:
> Anyone have similar images/comparison shots taken with these three
> lenses they can point me to? The 35-105 is an orange in with the
> apples...but I'm curious (other than a couple stops) what I'd be giving
> up.
<big snip>