[OM] Re: Difference between Siver nosed and Standard Zuiko lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: Difference between Siver nosed and Standard Zuiko lens?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 23:17:41 -0800
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>The "MIJ" lens was the culmination of a long line of development and is
>probably the best overall performer.  However, that does not mean that
>the other lenses were bad as we're talking extremely fine gradations in
>performance here.  The Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 is an extremely fine lens in any
>version.

Wellllllll......... My first 50/1.8, among the first 50,000 made out of
5-6 million 50/1.8s is not awful, but to call it "an extremely fine
lens" is definitly overstatement. I was surprised to find the 35-70/3.6
I bought later was quite a bit better at 50mm than the prime. It was
taken as gospel at the time that primes were better than any zoom. I
think my experience was not unique, if you look at Gary's tests. The miJ
(tha't how it is capatilized on the lens) is a mighty fine lens. As you
say, there is a long continum between them.

Moose