[OM] Re: Difference between Siver nosed and Standard Zuiko lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: Difference between Siver nosed and Standard Zuiko lens?
From: "Ali Shah" <farali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 13:21:31 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 12:50 PM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [OM] Re: Difference between Siver nosed and Standard Zuiko
lens?

Thank you for the information! I thought that perhaps the Silver Nosed
lenses might be harder to come by so perhaps they are worth a little more. I
thought Olympus might have made the Silver nosed lenses for a specific
reason other than technology. I have 4 50mm F1.8's and wanted to keep the
best one for myself...the rest will go with the bodies that I have sold on
Ebay.

My interest in Olympus is growing at a very rapid pace and I am very
interested in historical information.

Thanks again.

- Ali

Hi Ali,

I think just about all silver-nosed lenses are single coated. "Why did
Olympus make the Silver nosed lenses?"- Because that's where the technology
stood at
the time. When advances in cost-effective coating processes came along,
Olympus and other makers passed on this progress to consumers.

Multi-coating gives better flare-resistance than single-coated lenses.
Possibly some color correction also.

Generally, silver-nosed lenses are worth a bit less than later versions.

50mm 1.8s don't vary much in price no matter what version they are, they're
all generally only worth around $20-$50 due to the huge numbers they're
available in, and the fact that one version is not really that much better
or worse
than others. The "Made In Japan" lenses are said to be better performers,
but
like I said, I don't think any of them are "bad' performers.

The biggest thing you should be concerned with when considering buying a
used
Zuiko is not so much all these things; but you should examine its condition
closely. Variations in quality from one sample to the next may be great in
lenses that are up to 30 years old. An older, well-cared for silver-nose
will be a
better choice than a newer lens that has heavy haze, or fungus, or oily
diaphram blades.

Hope this helps,
George S.

 farali@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Could anyone explain to me the differences between a Silver nosed
Zuiko lens and standard Zuiko lens? Are all Silver nosed lenses single
coated? I have several 50mm F 1.8's and
one of the bunch is silver nosed. Is this worth more? Is there a
difference in quality? Why did Olympus make the Silver nosed lenses? A lens
with "made in Japan" written on the barrel are reputed to better
quality..how true is that?

Thank you.

- Ali

List Problem"