[OM] Re: Difference between Siver nosed and Standard Zuiko lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: Difference between Siver nosed and Standard Zuiko lens?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:56:02 -0500
Silver nose lenses are older and (in general) single coated.  Black nose
lenses are newer and generally were produced at the advent of
multi-coating.  However, Olympus multi-coating was not an instantaneous
changeover.  Some silver nose lenses might have selected elements
multicoated.  Some black nose lenses might not have all elements
multicoated.  In general, if a Zuiko lens gives bright green reflections
instead of just amber, rose, purple it is probably multicoated even
though it might not be marked "MC".  However, that is not a perfect
indicator either.

There are some 5 or 6 different versions of the 50mm f/1.8 starting with
silver nose and ending with black nose and starting from single coating
to gradually increasing multicoating.  The latest version of the 50mm
f/1.8 is referred to as the "MIJ" lens.  Although all of the 50mm
f/1.8's were made in Japan the "MIJ" lens states "made in Japan" on the
name ring around the front element and the serial number is on the mount
ring opposite the DOF scale instead of on the name ring where all other
lenses were labeled.

The "MIJ" lens was the culmination of a long line of development and is
probably the best overall performer.  However, that does not mean that
the other lenses were bad as we're talking extremely fine gradations in
performance here.  The Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 is an extremely fine lens in any
version.

Some such at Ken Norton (aka "AG Schnozz" on this list) covet the old
silver nose lenses as they have their own special imaging characteristics.

If you are to become a true Zuikoholic you of course will need them all!

Some resources you should be aware of:

Lens coating and silver nose serial number limits:
<http://petroglyph.crestline.ca.us/Olympus/lenscoat.htm>

The Olympus FAQ
<http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html>

Lots of exploded parts diagrams and parts number lists + repair articles
<http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/>

About Maitani - Olympus' chief engineer and OM designer
<http://www.geocities.com/maitani_fan/home.html>

The Unofficial Olympus (electronic) Sales Information File (eSIF)
(also available on CD and well worth the price)
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif.htm>

Olympus lens tests by Gary Reese
<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>

Themed Olympus Photo exhibition (the TOPE)
<http://www.tope.nl/>

Olympus repair by members of this list
Clint Rumbo - Photosphere, Dallas
<http://www.olyfix.com/>
John Hermanson - Camtech, Long Island
<http://zuiko.com/>

And there's lots more including the Olympus webring.  This is just
enough to get you started and keep you occupied for awhile.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Masssachusetts, USA