[OM] Re: M1

Subject: [OM] Re: M1
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:11:32 -0500
Cc: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>

All OM-1 meters are "easily" adaptable to anything from an M-1 to the last
ever made 1N.  And since new meters are no longer available (you could chose
between the 2 part numbers) you have to take a working meter out of a good
body.
It involves taking the bends out of the meter needle, and rebending it again
in different places so it clears everything inside.  Also, you swap over the
small gear from the old meter to the new one.   Straightening and rebending
the needle can be "hairy" especially for those who have not done it before.

First thing to check after you have the top off is the resistance of the
meter coil.  Put one ohmmeter probe on the blue wire connection on the
circuit board, the other to the metal casing of the meter.  It should be
about 1300 ohms.  1340, 1310, doesn't matter.

Meter failure can be due to a:  corroded battery wire.  Wire may look
connected but is covered with white, blue or green powder.  Tugging slightly
on wire may make it fall off of battery contact.  So, entire length of wire
may have to be replaced (corrosion flows through wire as if it were a pipe).
replacing entire wire properly involves pulling the 2 halves of the body
apart to get at body cavity.  Wire is glued in near the shutter curtains and
is done that way so it will not interfere with curtains.  It also must be
glued in the correct location or (because of tight tolerances) it can be
partially crushed by the back of the self timer mechanism.  This can cause
battery drain, sometimes only the body is squeezed.

Sometimes the last inch of wire can be snipped off and a short length
spliced on.  resoldering the battery contact can be tricky because it is
stainless steel and if it has even a little corrosion or too much solder
paste, solder will not take.
Tighten screws for flash bracket (that goes over back of prism).  the right
side of this makes contact with the ground of the meter housing strap.
Other end of strap goes under edge of meter housing.  Make sure that this
screw is tight BUT be very careful as the screw goes into plastic and the
really old meter frames (M-1 would be the oldest) are prone to crumbling
(not available) and most of them are already cracked, so tightening the
screw often does not tighten it too much.
Hope this helps.
John Hermanson  www.zuiko.com
mail:  omtech@xxxxxxxxx
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.