[OM] Re: XA vs Rollei 35

Subject: [OM] Re: XA vs Rollei 35
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:34:18 +1300
Hi all; Dan asked
> Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:37:49 +1000
>
> Has anyone used a Rollei 35 (Sonnar or Tessar lens)?
> How does lens/image quality compare to the XA (or 1/2/3/4)
>
> Regards
> Dan

I have used both flavours of Rollei 35. The Sonnar is supposed to be sharper
than the Tessar, but the one I had clearly was not and I sold it (about 20
years ago). So there may be some variability.

My wife commandeered my first Tessar version about 15 years ago ( I bought
it 2nd hand for $157, which was cheap then) and she still uses it regularly as
her carry everywhere camera and gets very good shots hand held that
enlarge to 6x8 no problem.

I also have an XA and I suspect it is somewhat sharper, BUT I have not done
careful tests comparing apples with apples. For example, it gave sharper
shots than the Rollei at 6x8, BUT I was very careful to stabilise the XA by
holding it against a very firm support. My wife uses it strictly hand-held.

I also have a mint Rollei 35T but have not used it enough to comment.

The Rollei is totally mechanical / manual as far as camera function goes,
with an in-lens leaf shutter. Should go more or less for ever, with care..

Brian