[OM] Re: OT Computer trivia, was Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Computer trivia, was Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:43:05 -0500
To the best of my recollection IBM developed the 8" floppy originally
for updating the microcode on IBM mainframes.  The next use was the IBM
DisplayWriter product, one of the earliest dedicated word processors
with a display screen (as opposed to typewriter based systems such as
the IBM MTST and MCST).  From there it spread into use in the new field
of micro computers... especially the S-100 bus machines.  I think the
TRS-80 was one of the last users of 8" diskettes before the 5=1/4's came
along.

Did I get it right?

Chuck Norcutt
(an old IBM guy)