[OM] Re: OT Computer trivia - microcode

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Computer trivia - microcode
From: "Tom Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:55:38 -0500
Actually, almost all processors today use microcode. The alternative to
microcode is structures of logic gates, which is faster, but takes more
development time and chip area.

The Pentium 4 has loadable microcode. See
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5149

tOM

On Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at 9:47,
Mark Dapoz <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Original 8" floppies had 80K of storage.  That storage was used for the
> processor microcode, not the OS.  The microcode is the raw bit sequences
> used to flip the latches in the processor to implement the instruction set.
> It wasn't uncommon for a new release of the OS to come with new microcode
> which implemented some fancy new instructions needed by the new OS.  I don't
> think any modern processor is microcode loadable any more, they're all hard
> wired nowdays.

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -------
   ,__@ tOM Trottier +1 613 231-6115    N45.412 W75.714
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        Abacurial Information Architecture      http://Abacurial.com