[OM] Re: Epson R800

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson R800
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:22:18 -0800

>From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #44
>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:00:14 -0500
>

>Whether film or digital, good printing has become as essential to
>maintenance of the OM 'process' as a good Z.  Having used an Epson
>Photo 870 for a couple + years as a 'learning tool', I too have been
>exploring the new and betterment of printers.  Other than capital and
>maintenance costs, the 2200 remains a paradigm.  Just out is the Epson
>R800 which appears to be a polishing of the Epson technology at a
>slightly reduced cost.  While limited in output size as compared with
>the 2200, specs suggest a good value.
>- any thoughts on the latest 'R' series?
>- insight / synopsis of your achieving nirvana in color management?
>thanks
>Bill

Bill,
I think I can help out with some information for you regarding that decision.
In summary, the new R800 looks to be a superb letter sized printer. I
heard Parker somebody or other, one of Epson's color scientists, talk
about it at SF Dig in January. Here's the scoop. Epson is very
excited about this new printer. The Ultrachrome ink set, while
excellent, shows a metamerism phenomenon known as "bronzing" on
glossy paper. It is just one the physical characteristics of the
pigment based inks on this type of paper. This is why most
photographers printing on the 2200 use Premium Luster, Semigloss or
one of the excellent matte papers that Epson makes for this printer.
Parker explained that the vast majority of 2200 users print on the
larger end of things, usually 11X14 or larger, and that the prints
usually end up behind glass in a frame, so the need for a glossy
paper just isn't there; the glass provides the gloss, so the need to
print on glossy paper doesn't really arise very often at all for 2200
users. However, with an 8X10 printer, many users print 4X6's or
occasionally 8X10's, often which get printed as snaps and passed
around, and usually these prints do not end up behind glass. To solve
the bronzing problem, Epson devised a special ink that applies a
coating over the glossy paper print, which prevents the appearance of
the bronzing effect. So, Epson developed this special new inkset
specifically for the customer needs of an 8X10 printer where the
prints are often viewed "in the hand", as it were. Some asked if they
were going to adapt this inkset to the 2200/7600/9600 and Parker said
no; as most of these prints end up behind glass anyway, the need for
printing on a glossy paper is moot. Having seen some of my stuff
printed on Premium Luster and behind glass, I would have to agree.
I'd like to add that using Enhanced Matte gives photographs a
beautiful, more artistic look, almost like a detailed painting. These
prints also look quite beautiful behind glass and have a real museum
quality look to them. So, what I am saying, albeit rather
longwindedly, is Go Get the R800! I think you will be very, very
happy with it.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!