[OM] Printing B&W on an Epson 2200-Get a RIP!

Subject: [OM] Printing B&W on an Epson 2200-Get a RIP!
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:32:14 -0800

>From: "Richard Smith" <rms3863@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: Considering Printer Purchase
>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:12:47 -0600
>

>I just started working with an Epson 2200 about a month ago.  The color
>prints are truly stunning.  I have been able to get OK B&W prints, but am
>not totally satisfied with what I'm turning out.  You can forget B&W on
>glossy paper; that just doesn't work with a 2200.  Prints on some of the
>matte papers, specifically Archival Matte paper and matte black ink, are
>much better.
>Dick Smith

Dick,
I can help you there regarding the Epson 2200 and black and white.
This was covered in my Color Management course by Andrew Rodney at
the Santa Fe workshops. The problem isn't with the 2200 at all, it
lies with the Epson 2200 printer driver. The problem is that when
printing black and white in the print driver setting, there is no way
to turn off some small amt. of yellow that gets put down; some quirk
of the driver. The hot set-up for printing black and white on a 2200
is to use a RIP; the best one right now is the ImagePrint RIP. which
allows you to print without any "Y" at all. Once you use an
Imageprint RIP, you can get stunning black and white prints,
especially if you use, as you pointed out, Archival Matte, Enhanced
Matte or Fine Art Matte and the Matte Black ink. But the Imageprint
RIP is really the key. The Epson print academy course had a film clip
with Greg Gorman, who prints beautiful black and white work on an
Epson 4000 (the new successor the 2200). FWIW, no one prints anything
on glossy on a 2200...the inkset just doesn't work well on glossy.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!