[OM] Changing Perceptions

Subject: [OM] Changing Perceptions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:54:02 -0800
It is funny how your perceptions change. I started many years ago when
I was young and in the US Army in Germany with a Leica M3 which I grew
to love. When it was stolen many years later I could no longer afford
to replace it with the latest one.  I had a brief fling with mechanical
Canon F1n which I disliked almost as much as I liked the Leica.
Although I was able to take pictures that pleased me with it, it was
awkward, clunky and heavy. Although it was built like a tank a small
bump that did not leave a mark on the finish destroyed the meter. The
OM4T was a wonderful experience and it was a perfect size. I looked at
the evolution of the Leica R8 and was amazed at how big and clumsy it
looked. Now after being interested for a while in digital and handling
a representative sample of them I just saw a pic of the Leica R9
enlarged by a mockup of the digital back and bottom and it did not look
so big at all. Funny.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma2004/Leica/DSC_1994.jpg

Winsor
Long Beach, CA