[OM] Re: Cosina/Espon digital RF

Subject: [OM] Re: Cosina/Espon digital RF
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:34:41 -0800
on 2/18/04 12:48 PM, Andrew Dacey at frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Okay there's been a lot of discussion of this over on the Voigtlander list.
> Personally, I'm glad to see someone is stepping in and making a more
> traditional mechanical style digital camera.
>
> To keep some of this more on topic, where Cosina is doing the OEM work for
> the body and has also made an Olympus body (the OM-2000), who'd like to see
> an OM-mount version of this? I believe it's built off the same body as the
> Voigtlander RF's which (I believe) is the same body as was used for the
> OM-2000, et al.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma2004/Epson/
>
> Andrew "frugal" Dacey
> frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.tildefrugal.net/

The camera is interesting but I don't see any advantage to having them make
it in OM mount. The rangefinder would not couple to Zuiko lenses, so it
would be strictly scale focusing. Even if it offered manual control of
aperture and shutter speed, it would be more awkward to use than an adapter
on a Canon digital SLR. The digital Epson/Cosina rangefinder is pretty much
only going to be useful with Leica and Cosina-Voigtlander and similar mount
lenses, some of which are not too bad anyway... <g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...