[OM] Re: [OT] scanner question

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] scanner question
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:57:39 -0800
on 2/17/04 12:04 PM, Richard Lovison at rlovison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have a possible opportunity to pick up a used Minolta Dimage Scan Dual Film
> Scanner for around $100.  This is the old model that uses the SCSI interface
> with 2438 dpi resolution and 8-bit digitization.  I have never used a film
> scanner before and I'm looking for one to produce images for a webpage.
> Would this model be a decent one to start with or am I wasting my time with
> one that doesn't do dust and fingerprint removal in the scan?  I would be
> scanning Fuji NPS 160 film for the most part.  Any opinions would be helpful.
>
> Richard

Richard - that's plenty of resolution for online use... actually enough to
get pretty good prints. I'd expect that it might be getting difficult to
find drivers and tech support, and repairs wouldn't be economic anymore, so
I'd try to haggle the price down some.

Do you have SCSI support in your computer? I have an older Mac, which does,
but the new ones don't have that unless you get an add-in card, which in
turn requires you to have a computer that supports add-in cards (i.e. not an
I-Mac). By the time you add a decent SCSI card and cable, you might be near
halfway to a brand new Minolta Scan Dual III which is USB (maybe USB-2?) and
would have a longer life going forward...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...