[OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:14:29 -0800
An old one, on the "Off" topic:

MONTANA GRIZZLY WARNING!

Posted by Montana Fish and Game Dept. on Jan. 28, 1999 at 00:36:19.

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the
Montana Dept. of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and
fishermen to take precautions and keep alert for bears while in the
field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so
as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise
outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with
a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for signs of bear activity.
Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and
grizzly bear feces.

Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel
fur.

Grizzly bear feces is larger, has little bells in it and smells like
pepper.