[OM] Re: Vibration study

Subject: [OM] Re: Vibration study
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:55:56 -0800 (PST)
Tris, we're getting double-postings in the digest.  Strange.

>But to the nub of it: if you want to say that Delta is more
>like Tri-X than Tri-X than I put it to you that Delta cannot,
>in the face of cold logic, actually "be" Tri-X but rather
>something else, and by implication something
>"better," whatever that might mean.

I was specifically referring to the latest/greatest version of
Tri-X.

>Finally, to say "technology has moved on" with regard to the
>Tri-X look and "feel" strikes me as not a little bit arbitrary,
>somewhat self-serving and otherwise wholly confuses the point
>of what documentary art means to accomplish.

No, not quite what I was referring to.  When comparing the two
films in question (D400 and Tri-X), my point is that Tri-X gives
you the Tri-X look, whereas D400 gives you a choice during
"post-processing".

>Again, by so feverishly trying to compare favorably the new
>Ilford offering with the old Tri-X you only make my case.

I have nothing but the highest praise for Tri-X.  However I
choose to use the other product for specific reasons that I feel
are superior: Tighter grain, faster speed, extended red
sensitivity, greater exposure latitude, non-blocking highlights,
pushability.  Oh, and it scans better due to a slightly fogged
base.  But, to each his/her own.

>As for the comparison with the T-grain stuff: I'm not terribly
>impressed with the Kodak TMAX offerings.

No argument here.

>By the way, I forget, but did the study want to compare
camera->support combinations (tripods and heads) or just
tripods?

Whatever combination that is usuable.  Testing tripods without
heads kinda defeats the purpose.

>P.S. When did you get into Ilford products, AG?

Around two years ago I started converting totally over.  I use
mostly Ilford products as it is a good "system", but do use
alternative papers/chemistries for specific purposes.  I don't
get off on "brew your own" developers.  I ain't no chemist and
wouldn't want the local Narc Squad to mistake my darkroom for a
meth lab.  Anyway, I really like Delta 400 soaked in DD-X and
consider it a no-excuses, no-compromises setup.  I just wish it
was available in 4x5.

Self-serving?  ya, maybe.

AG