[OM] Re: [OT] Getting close, but with a twist

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Getting close, but with a twist
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:24:58 +1100
Style. A red spot. :)
Seriously - I have a Digilux 1 and really like it - I know not too
much about the 2. I would hope that they improved the screen - it's a
great size but not too bright. Can be hard to use in sunny
conditions, even with the clever but inconvenient screen hood. Some
people also think that the choice of SD card is limiting. Another bad
point is the cost of accessories. The 'filter adaptor' tube which
also lets you mount accessory lenses takes a 49mm filter but is
almost 2.5 times the price of the almost identical item for the
Panasonic! (which unfortunately takes a 52mm). I bought the Panasonic
version and do mount Oly IS/L wide and tele lenses (A series which
are bulky but don't vignette) so does that mean I can put shots in
the TOPE? :)
I leave it mounted full time and with a tele lens or a hood and the
screen erected, it looks really serious - demands respect. A friend
said it looks like a 30yo digital. Also has an excellent manual.
There is also a claim that Leica really gave Panasonic a hard time in
getting their version the way they want it and that they tweaked the
firmware to their own specifications so that it is supposed to be a
better performer. That may be hype but Leica used to do that to
Minolta too - rejected a lot of the assemblies that Min made for them
so it sounds plausible.
Me - I paid the extra just for the red spot.
AndrewF