[OM] Re: Tripods and security guards

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods and security guards
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:52:05 -0500
I agree with Donald that the right to do what you want on public land
(respecting the law and courtesy) is important. My first response would be
"I'm on public land, aren't I?". Next I'd ask why he thinks I should move
(in case there's a crane load overhead or something). If he persisted I'd
suggest he call the police, and that I'd talk to them.

It's a small freedom in this context, but with larger implications, and
worth some bother to defend.

In practice I find a confident hello and body language deflect any problems.
(Reminds me of the black actor in England who found answering in Received
Pronunciation stopped police harassment.)

Andrew