[OM] Re: Films - was:Everdon Northamptonshire

Subject: [OM] Re: Films - was:Everdon Northamptonshire
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:30:06 +0100
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, AG Schnozz wrote:

> Most developers "lose speed". This is why you see people always rating
> thier 400 films  at 320 or 200  or even 160. FP4 is  typically shot at
> 100 or 80. PanF  at 32 or 25. By using a developer,  such as DD-X, you
> don't need to  underrate your films--just shoot them  at the published
> ISO. I  recommend shooting at the  published speeds unless you  have a
> specific reason not to.

i guess only experience can tell :) i understand what you mean, and once
i get to shooting more film, maybe i'll see it too!

> Underrating  films does  give more  shadow detail  and sometimes  more
> luminous skintones, but may also skew  the curves enough that you will
> lose tonal seperation where you need it most. To each his/her own, but
> I'd  only change  the rating  of the  film for  specific, quantifyable
> reasons--not because  that's the  way we've always  done it.  Years of
> shooting slide films taught me to trust the manufacturers.

i'm slowly  convincing myself  to abandon  color prints  completely, and
switch to slides  when i need color.  a big problem with  slides is that
you can't quickly show your favorite  shots to others, since most people
run away when they see a projector :P

> PanF  has extremely  fine  grain  which is  traditional  in shape  and
> results in extremely  smooth gradients even in the  20-24" print size.
> Tonal scale is  smooth and predictable. A very high  quality film that
> far exceeds  tha capabilities of  most Zuikos.  The base is  clear and
> doesn't scan as well as the Deltas.

speaking of  scanners, is there a  good, cheap one around?  the canoscan
fs-4000 looks interesting, but i've also often saw a minolta "something"
III being mentioned. does anybody have suggestions, tips?

i  figure a  slide scanner  is  still a  cheaper solution  to a  digital
system, and i  don't really get along with the  Camedia 1400-L (although
it ain't as bad as i make it sound most of the time)

> AG-Schnozz

thanks for your great post!

--nils