[OM] Re: Films - was:Everdon Northamptonshire

Subject: [OM] Re: Films - was:Everdon Northamptonshire
From: "Jamie Costello" <jcostel1168@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:24:04 -0500
Walt wrote:

<snip> ...  The jury's still out on the two T-Max films ...
  I'm fairly new to Delta 100, and it looks good so far.
> Haven't tried the 400.  I would have a hard time giving up Tri-X.
> And Plus-X has been my favorite B&W film ever since Panatomic-X
> went away.  :-(

Last year, I did what I thought was a reasonably thorough comparison of
"new" Tri-X, Plus-X, T-Max 100 and T-Max 400; all being developed in D-76
1:1.  I came away liking Tri-X, loving Plus-X and being completely
underwhelmed by the T-Maxes.  By comparison, I loved the Delta 400 in DD-X.
Walt, Delta 400/DD-X is a "better" Tri-X ;-).  Really.   Similar tonality
with very little grain.  I do most of my printing on 11x14 now.  In my 4x5's
grain's not an issue (dwindling film selection IS), but in 35mm, grain is an
issue for me.

Schnozz has described how to develop/print Delta 400 in two distinct
"looks": old Tri-X and new T-Max.

Jamie
Fort Myers, FL