Re: [OM] Re: "Real World Tests"

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: "Real World Tests"
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:07:45 -0500
George,

I can't decide whether or not you are yanking our chains or not. But I see nowhere that this list is for OM only, but that it is "supposed to be used for discussing Olympus related topics." As stated at the list home page http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright/olympuslist.shtml

That leaves us a pretty broad spectrum of wondeful olympus things to discuss and still be on topic.
Just in case you were serious...

Charles

GeoW wrote:

Please remember this list is expressly for "any Olympus OM-series camera" that you are comparing these digital wonders to. I also repeat, this is not an all things Olympus list but OM. :-) Who was it that slipped far out on that limb to proclaim that even Pearlcorders were included? Not.

GeoW

On 30 Dec 2003 at 18:02, Stephen Scharf wrote:

>Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:17:56 EST
>From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4495
>
>With all due respect, you were just pressing the shutter to test the
>battery, right?

No.

>Was that a "real world" test? No.
Excuse me, but yes they were.

>No one could take 1000 shots in a day and
>be able to pay attention to focus, framing, exposure, etc.

They were motorsports racing photographs. Our job is to get as many
photos of each racer as possible. With, for example  when shooting a
go-kart racing event, with 325 go-kart racers per event, that averages
out to only, maybe, 3 photos/racer.  Your comments remind of the
people that say you can't shoot race cars at  coming at you at 160 mph
at 1/250th of a second at 400mm handheld. If you don't think I can do
it, you're welcome to come join me for a full 8 hrs of shooting and
see for yourself. Or, ask Mike Veglia if it's possible. And shooting
with a 1D, you would very surprised at the no. of keepers I would
have. Way more than one would get with any Olympus OM-series camera.

>Yes, the new batteries may be amazing, but you have no way of knowing
>if that digicam you just bought will be discontinued in a year after
>selling 5,000 units, or 5 years from now after selling 3 million
>units. Guess which camera will be difficult to find a battery for in
>5 years? It may be yours.

I doubt it.

>GeorgeS.

-Stephen.