Re: [OM] Newbie questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Newbie questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:38:18 -0800
This is a good place to start on lens details <http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/lensgroup/lensterms.htm> This wonderful site is largely based on the internal Sales Information File Oly sales reps used. It is also available on CD, esp. for those with slow dial-up connections. R. Lee Hawkins site <http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html> is a great source of OM info and the links on multicoating should help. Another great source of tech info is Mark Dapoz' Hardware Info site <http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/> , which is also available on CD.

There are a lot of cases out there. The oldest, black pebble-grain leather cases are certainly a tight fit for the later single digit bodies, but don't press on the shutter release on an OM-4(T(i)). The later smooth real leather cases came in black and what seem to have been several shades of brown. I have a brown and a black that can hardly be told apart except in bright light and have seen some that are light brown. There are also lots and lots of the plastic cases that were made for the double-digit 'consumer' models.

Don't get too compulsive about lens history, coatings, etc. It can get you out in a place far from the purpose of the lenses. If you want to drive yourself crazy, do what so many of us have done at one time and another, and peruse Gary Reese's lens tests in minute detail at <http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>. AG's reply was excellent and I would emphasize his comment about the standard 50/1.8/1.4 lenses. They both went through several versions and latest versions are the best. The difference between the oldest and newest versions is huge. In point 2, he lumps zooms with WAs in a potentially misleading way. I believe the 75-150mm was the only zoom ever made SC, all others were always MC.

Moose

Shatcho@xxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks for the info. Can you illuminate a little further? At what point approx did the changeover occur? Anyone have any old advertising material from Olympus at the time? Sure, I figure stocks of the old lenses ran out at different times, according to the popularity and volume left in stock.

Here's another little something that has been bugging me for a while: OM cases, specifically for 1,2,3,4. What color are they 'supposed to be'. I was led to believe that a '1.2.3.4' case should not be used with OM2SP, 3, and 4, since the case material was relatively inflexible and often led to premature battery drain as the case might push on the shutter release......or is this complete bollocks?