Re: [OM] 24mm and polariser

Subject: Re: [OM] 24mm and polariser
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:14:33 +0000
Not sure a circular polarizer would make any difference - as I understand it, it's a linear polarizer with a quarter-wave slice of glass behind it which effectively 'de-polarizes' the light, so it doesn't affect camera metering systems - but the pictorial effect should be identical to a linear polariser.

Light from the sky is most polarised 90 degrees away from the sun, and least polarised opposite the sun in the sky, so lenses with a field of view much greater than 90 degrees will show the variations in sky light polarisation quite strongly, pretty much wherever they're pointed. Only way to avoid the effect is not to use a polarizer, I think. Velvia hardly needs a polariser to give you deep, deep blue skies, so using that could be the best suggestion.

Roger

Piers Hemy wrote:

I think Bill did a good job of explaining the theory James, so I won't
repeat it.  But I will suggest that you try a circular polarizer against a
linear polarizer, because it *may* have a less pronounced effect.  I do not
recall ever seeing banding with a 17mm using a circular polarizer - but
maybe I either wasn't looking, or didn't have the scene framed so as to
include the banded area^.  Best UK price I have found on circular polarizers
is at Denton Photo Optics - they advertise in AP.

Piers

^ Though I tend to have too much sky rather than too little - the reason for
having the 17mm. NB "the reason for" not "the result of" ;-) -----Original Message-----